Pages

Friday 21 December 2018

Giants Among Us

I have just learned that New Zealand has a really special environment. Many of the plants and trees found in New Zealand are not found anywhere else in the world. These plants and trees are endemic to our country.   In New Zealand one of the largest and longest living endemic trees is the NZ Kauri tree. Kauri are mainly found in three regions of New Zealand: the Coromandel, Auckland and Northland. The largest Kauri tree in the country is in the Waipoua Forest in Northland. It is called Tāne Mahuta. Some people refer to it as the ‘Lord of the Forest.' and also I would like to visit the biggest tree ever because I would like to take a photo of me and the tree. and also why I do want to see it is because I want to learn new trees from new places.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Sauma,

    My name is Rachel and I am working on the Summer Learning Journey (SLJ) programme. It is so cool to see that you have joined us this year! Welcome to the SLJ team! I really enjoyed reading your post about visiting Tane Mahuta. I would also love to go and to take a picture of this amazing tree. LIke you, I want to learn about new things (like new trees) and go to places that I have never been before. I recently read an article about Tane Mahuta and learned that it is almost 2000 years old. Wow! That is pretty old, isn't it?

    I wonder what life was like in New Zealand when Tane Manhuta was just a small seedling. I suspect that it was pretty different to modern day New Zealand. What do you think?

    I hope that you'll continue to blog with us and share your learning over the summer holiday.

    See you back online again soon, I hope!

    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete